Monday, December 12, 2011

The Dreamlands I ever wanted...

As usual I pick up things on the Internet and only stop to actually see/read them with more attention days later. I’m sure that another RPG blog already post it so, if that is the case, sorry for this small repost, but this map is just too awesome…


In moments like this I regret never having run a Dreamlands game (although I do use zebras as mounts in my current campaign!... it’s a start). Anyway, if one day I come to do it, I’m now certain that I’ll keep it separated from Cthulhu Mythos – at least as portrayed by most RPGs. I don’t believe that the Dreamlands Cycle and the traditional Mythos are a good mix – I prefer to think of the former as a darker take on Dunsany-style fantasy. Maybe this preference is a also result of my latest readings of Lovecraft; the more that I read of the Old Gent’s novels and short stories the more I believe that Yog-Sothothery is actually about horror/science fiction (perhaps even a sinister precursor to transhuman science fiction) than true supernatural tales; on the other hand, the Dreamlands is clearly a fantasy setting, filled with fantastic races and astonishing vistas – although one that support surreal or picaresque adventures instead of high fantasy or epic-style games.

Crazy thoughts aside, the wonderful map above is part of a great Kickstarter project by comics artist Jason Thompson.

No comments:

Post a Comment